The goal of the Duncanville ISD prekindergarten program is for students to develop skills necessary for success in public school curriculum, including language, mathematics and social skills.
For the 2017-2018 school year, Duncanville ISD is offering limited enrollment in the district’s new, full day prekindergarten. There will be four full day classes for students who meet at least one of the five criteria for prekindergarten eligibility. Acceptance to the program will be based upon available space at the time of enrollment. The tuition-free, full day prekindergarten classes will be housed at Hastings and Acton elementary schools. Duncanville ISD will also offer a tuition-based program at Acton Elementary.
The district also offers half day prekindergarten programs at eight of its nine elementary schools. See more information below under Current Programs.
Students qualifying for tuition-free prekindergarten must be four years of age by September 1, 2017 and meet one of the following criteria:
- Unable to speak and comprehend the English language
- Educationally disadvantaged (which means a student eligible to participate in the national free or reduced-price lunch program)
- Homeless, as defined by 42 U.S.C. Section 1143a, regardless of the residence of the child, of either parent of the child, or of the child's guardian or other person having lawful control of the child
- The child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority
- The child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty
- Is or ever has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services (foster care)following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family Code
- Be the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas as: a peace officer under Section 3106.002, Government Code; a firefighter under Section 3106.003, Government Code; or an emergency medical first responder under Section 3106.004, Government Code
Duncanville ISD half day and full day tuition-based programs will increase as needed and space allows. Half day programs will increase when the district identifies 12 additional students qualifying for the service as required by the Texas Education Agency. Full day tuition-free programs will be capped at 44 bilingual students and 44 general education/ESL students for a total of 88.
- Online registration begins on August 7, 2017 at www.duncanvilleisd.org/Domain/1648.
- Registration will be open at all elementary campuses beginning on Thursday, August 10th through Wednesday, August 23rd, 8:30 am - 3:30 pm.
- Please visit the elementary campus of your choice for Document Review. See Documents Needed for a list of documents needed for Document Review.
- If enrollment is full at the campus of your choice, then your child may be placed on a waiting list.
- Proof of Residence: original and current utility bill (water, gas, electric, cable bill; not a telephone bill) in parent/guardian’s name
- If the parent/guardian lives with a district resident (host family), a notarized affidavit of residence form (yellow form) must be provided
- Valid parent/guardian identification: state driver's license; Texas ID; passport with current address; military or government issued ID; or consular card
- Proof of Student Identification: original or certified true copy of birth certificate (not hospital certificate), valid passport with visa stamp, or any legal document that established identity
- Copy of student’s social security card
- Copy of student’s current and up-to-date immunization record
IMPORTANT: No child will be registered before the start of school without all the necessary documents.
Duncanville ISD currently has half day prekindergarten programs in eight of its nine elementary schools. Five campuses have a bilingual class and a general education/ESL class. Those campuses include Acton, Bilhartz, Fairmeadows, Hastings, and Hyman.
Two of our elementary campuses, Merrifield and Smith, have two classes each, but offer only general education/ESL classes. Central Elementary has two half day classes and both are bilingual only. At this time there are no full day classes.