English, Language Arts & Reading
The Duncanville ISD ELAR program is founded on the English Language Arts and Reading Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) which are organized into the following strands:
- Reading, where students read and understand a wide variety of literary and informational texts;
- Writing, where students compose a variety of written texts with a clear controlling idea, coherent organization, and sufficient detail;
- Research, where students are expected to know how to locate a range of relevant sources and evaluate, synthesize, and present ideas and information;
- Listening and Speaking, where students listen and respond to the ideas of others while contributing their own ideas in conversations and in groups; and
- Oral and Written Conventions, where students learn how to use the oral and written conventions of the English language in speaking and writing.
- The standards are cumulative--students will continue to address earlier standards as needed while they attend to standards for their grade. In each grade, students will engage in activities that build on their prior knowledge and skills in order to strengthen their reading, writing, and oral language skills. Students should write and read on a daily basis. (Texas Administrative Code (TAC), Title 19, Part II Chapter 110. Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for English Language Arts and Reading)