The Duncanville ISD Mathematics Department believes that all students should have access rigorous, relevant, and applicable mathematics experiences.
- Students will develop effective problem solving strategies by allowing students to engage in the content through the mathematical processing standards.
- Provide all students with differentiated instruction that will increase computational and problem solving skills.
- Teachers will be provided professional development opportunities to increase mathematics content knowledge.
- Teachers will continue instructing all students using the current district curriculum aligned to the rigor of the state standards.
Use of Graphing Calculators (Secondary)
For 8th grade math and all high school math courses, graphing calculators are a required tool to continue students’ learning at the secondary level. For these courses, calculators are provided for in-class use. Although not required, it is recommended for students to purchase their own calculators that match what is used in class to use for outside-of-class assignments, increased familiarity, and for college and career examinations that allow the use of a graphing calculator.
- Duncanville High School and the Collegiate Academy at DHS students use the TI-Nspire CX calculator.
- Byrd and Reed middle schools currently use the TI-84 Plus or TI-84 Plus CE.
- Kennemer Middle School students use the TI-84 Plus in 8th grade math and the TI-Nspire CX in the 7th Grade Advanced and 8th Grade Algebra courses.
Calculators aren’t just tools meant to give students the answer, they should be used to help students explore and visualize patterns that arise in mathematics. Students will be assigned a graphing calculator to use during class by the teacher. Students are expected to handle the calculators with care and use them appropriately. Damage to or loss of calculators will be determined by daily inspection by the student and classroom teacher. If damage or loss occurs, the student will be referred to the appropriate campus administrator and the instance will be handled according to the Student Code of Conduct.
For any questions regarding types or usage of calculators, contact the secondary mathematics coordinator at 972.708.2084 or email@example.com.