English Language Arts and Reading
The Duncanville ISD ELAR program adheres to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for English Language Arts and Reading (TEKS) which are organized into the following strands:
- Listening and Speaking
- Oral and Written Conventions
English Language Arts and Reading instruction is presented utilizing the Duncanville ISD Balanced Literacy Plan. The foundational literacy beliefs for the plan are as follows:
- Quality reading and writing instruction develops life-long readers and writers.
- Reading and writing are parallel processes that demand practice and require a purpose.
- Reading and writing are social acts - students need to share and to talk about their reading and writing.
- Effective reading and writing instruction is based on the needs and skill levels of each student and includes: modeling, whole and small group instruction, the use of mentor texts, and conferring with learners.
- Reading strategies should be taught within the context of authentic reading experiences.
- The conventions of English should be taught within the context of authentic writing experiences.
- Reading and writing need to be celebrated!
Parents play an important role in the literacy development of their children. Please see below for ways that you can support reading and writing at home.
- Children imitate adult behaviors. Children who see their parents reading and writing internalize that reading and writing are important life skills.
- Research shows that children's behavior and their academic performance improve when a parent reads and writes with their child.
- Libraries are a fun, FREE resource that can provide endless hours of entertainment.
- Kids love screen time! The following are DISD provided digital resources that support reading and writing: