Duncanville High School Choral Department Texas All State ChoirProud to announce our students did an outstanding job auditioning yesterday for the Texas All State Choir. The following students will be advancing to Area auditions in January after placing in the Top 5 tonight at Pre-Area auditions held at Highland Park High School.
- Brianna Villarreal – 3rd chair, Soprano 2 – 12th grade (ADVANCING TO AREA)
- Evelyn Ontiveros – 3rd chair, Alto 1 – 12th grade (ADVANCING TO AREA)
- Julie Legget IV – 4th chair, Alto 2 – 12th grade (ADVANCING TO AREA)
- Angel Fierro – 3rd chair, Tenor 1 – 11th grade (ADVANCING TO AREA)
- Obri Nash-Carroll – 4th chair, Tenor 1 – 9th grade (ADVANCING TO AREA)
- Juan Rios – 4th chair, Tenor 2 – 10th grade (ADVANCING TO AREA)
- Lavontay Jackson – 5th chair, Tenor 2 – 12th grade (ADVANCING TO AREA)
- Jeroham Ortega – 2nd chair, Bass 2 – 11th grade (ADVANCING TO AREA)
- Nickolas Jones – 3rd chair, Bass 2 – 12th grade (ADVANCING TO AREA)
- Quinton Prater – 4th chair, Bass 2 – 11th grade (ADVANCING TO AREA)
Schools with students advancing:
- Duncanville HS – 10
- Grand Prairie Fine Arts Academy – 9
- Booker T. Washington HSPVA – 8
- Highland Park HS – 3
- DeSoto HS – 3
- Waxahachie HS – 2
- Red Oak HS – 1
- Townview – 1
- Conrad HS – 1
- Irving HS – 1
- Homeschool – 1
Congratulations All-Region Orchestra
- Piccolo 1st Chair – Area Chair: Breaunna Campbell
- Flute Alternate: Ja’Yanna Brown
- English Horn 1st Chair: Francisco Rubio
- Bassoon 1st Chair—Area Chair: Michael Manns
- Bassoon 3rd Chair: Bronson Hooper
- Bassoon Alternate: Doriann Woods
- Alto Saxophone Alternate: Gabriel Escamilla
- Trumpet 2nd Chair—Area Chair: Samuel Reyes
- Trumpet 4th Chair—Area Chair: Ruben Alvarez
- Trumpet—Area Chair: Antonio Layton
- Horn 5th Chair—Area Chair: Iris Rangel
- Horn Alternate: Caitlyn Kile Tenor Trombone 1st Chair—Area Chair: Jaime Salas
- Tenor Trombone 2nd Chair—Area Chair: Xavian Clay
- Bass Trombone Alternate: Yahir Mendez
- Percussion 3rd Chair—Area Chair: Cesar Morin
- Percussion 5th Chair: Bryan Chacon
A Cappella Choir
Duncanville High School’s a cappella choir has been invited to perform at the opening session of the 2020 Texas Music Educators Association convention in February. The choir, under the direction of Jesse Cannon, is the only high school ensemble invited to participate in the special performance celebrating the organization’s centennial.
“To be invited to perform for the largest collection of music educators in the world, is without question, one of the highest honors any high school ensemble in Texas can receive,” said Duncanville Director of Fine Arts, Steven Moss.
As to why Duncanville was selected for the honor, TMEA administrative director Kay Van Landingham called Duncanville High School choral director Jesse Cannon ‘the real deal.’
"What he and the district are offering those kids is truly phenomenal."
TMEA’s opening program, called ‘It Starts with Music,’ will take place at the San Antonio Convention Center’s Lila Cockrell Theatre on Wednesday, Feb. 12 at 7:00 p.m.
TMEA is an association of more than 13,000 school music educators dedicated to promoting excellence in music education.