Message from the Superintendent - Security and Safety
Superintendent Dr. Marc Smith shares message with employees regarding safety and security:
Duncanville ISD family,
As teachers, administrators and parents, I know we all empathize with those effected by last week’s shooting at a Florida high school.
In the days that have followed, many of you have likely thought about our own children and students, co-workers and teachers. Know that the safety of our students and our staff is our highest priority. This is not just a saying, but my firm belief.
I understand that occurrences like last week’s incident cause worry and anxiety for employees, as well as our parents and students. You are encouraged to share some of the security precautions that have been implemented across Duncanville ISD.
- Each school conducts regular emergency drills for lockdown, fire and tornado.
- Thanks to the Nov. 2014 bond package, security features have been added to our schools including controlled front door access using video cameras.
- The bond also provided updated surveillance cameras, improving the extent and quality of video footage for monitoring purposes.
- Many of our elementary schools have been outfitted with public address systems to enhance communication throughout the building.
- As has been previously mentioned, our School Resource Officers are now operating under the Mansfield ISD Police Department, a highly rated police agency that understands their unique role of working in schools. They are accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week as needed.
Another resource we have is a very vigilant community. We all must continue to encourage our students, parents and community members to report safety concerns. Then it’s up to us to follow procedures to thoroughly investigate those tips and report any criminal activity to law enforcement.
Thank you for putting our students first and being a voice of calm for them as they navigate these challenging times.
Dr. Marc Smith
Superintendent of Schools